Ohio man charged in murder of former Clay woman

March 19, 2024

An Ohio man is behind bars after being accused of murdering a former Clay County woman.

Maureen Minton Ramey, 55, was found dead inside a Madison Township residence. Minton was a native Clay Countian and former Clay County High School cheerleader in the late 1980's.

The following is a press release from the Guernsey County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff Jeffrey D. Paden announced that detectives from his Investigation Division have charged a Quaker City area man with Murder following a Homicide investigation that began Friday morning, March 15th. Dalton John Leach, age 32, of Quaker City, Ohio, was charged Tuesday, March 19th, with Two counts of Murder, with firearm specifications included. He is in the Guernsey County Jail awaiting a bond hearing in the Cambridge Municipal Court later this week.

Sheriff Paden said that deputies had responded to a Madison Township residence to conduct a well-being check on a 55-year-old female after her family members reported they had been unable to contact her for several hours. The female was found deceased inside the residence under suspicious circumstances. At that time, detectives, as well as the Guernsey County Coroner, were summoned to the scene, and the investigation was initiated.

The crime scene unit from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office was also requested to process the scene for evidence. Sheriff Paden said Leach was identified as a person of interest, and all other law enforcement agencies were alerted to (Be on the lookout- BOLO) for him and the victim’s vehicle shortly before 1:00 p.m. on Friday. Leach was located in the Indianapolis, Indiana, area and was taken into custody on initial charges of Grand Theft of a Motor Vehicle. Leach waived extradition and was transported back to the Guernsey County Jail on Monday night, March 18th.

Following further investigation, detectives met with the Guernsey County Prosecutor and reviewed the case. Charges of Murder were then prepared and filed through the Cambridge Municipal Court.

This investigation is ongoing.