Clay students can "Paint the Plow"
Attention High Schools in District 11 counties of Bell, Clay, Harlan, Jackson, Knox, Laurel, Leslie, and Whitley Counties
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is holding its first-ever statewide Paint the Plow program to promote safe driving during snow and ice season, and we are inviting you to participate.
Paint the Plow is an opportunity for your high school art students to paint one of our snowplow blades.
The number of available blades we have in District 11 is limited to 8.
Therefore, we can only operate on a first-come, first-served basis. This is limited to high schools only.
If you receive an email to confirm your participation, KYTC will need a design for the blade. Before the blade can be dropped off at your school, your design must be approved by KYTC staff.
Faculty may assist in creating the design, but only students should participate in painting the design without alteration.
Consider the following when applying your design to the blade:
• The blade is approximately 12’ wide and 4’ high.
• The top foot of the blade is blocked from view due to a rubber strip.
• Use enamel paints with bright backgrounds.
• A final clear coat will help extend the life of the painting.
• No materials other than paint can be applied to the plow blade.
• Schools are responsible for purchasing paint and supplies.
•’Paint backgrounds should be bright, and no rubber or reflective/high-vis material should be painted over.
Please follow these guidelines when creating your design:
• The approved design must be applied with no modifications.
• Designs and messages should focus on road safety, winter weather.
• The design can include the school logo and school colors.
• Consider the following slogans for a snow and ice theme.
• No Device in Snow & Ice.
• Slow Down when Snow’s Down.
• Snow means Slow.
• The designs must be PG in nature.
• They will not include political, partisan, violent, or lewd images.
• No copyright, pop-culture references, movies, songs, celebrities, etc.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com if you would like to participate. We will use the timestamp for first come first served. Use the subject line “Paint the Plow Applicant.” Please include the point of contact name, title, phone number, email, school, school address, and county.
You will receive confirmation of your participation status from Les Dixon (firstname.lastname@example.org) at which point you will have until Monday, October 2 to submit and have a design approved. Once the design is approved, we will coordinate a drop-off and pick-up time with the point of contact.
Blades will be picked up no later than Wednesday, October 18 and an announcement of all the plows will go out November 1, 2023.
Please support the Manchester Enterprise by subscribing today!